Sunday, May 30, 2010

Thesis turned in yet still busy!

I turned in my thesis nearly two weeks ago on Monday, May 17. A week later I met with my thesis advisers to discuss and defend my thoughts, ideas and writings. And this week I am incorporating those advisers' comments and proofreading my thesis in preparation for binding the final project for the school's library and other interested parties. Despite finally finishing my research and writing and completing my thesis, time has not given me too much of a break lately!

Fortunately, the last few weeks have been exhilarating as well. Initially reading my completed thesis shortly before turning it in on May 17 made me feel proud of the research and writing that I have done the past year here in Tokyo at ICU. To my surprise, I didn't know that I had so many thoughts, ideas and data to fill so many pages—nearly 150! I also felt proud to present ideas and data in a fresh light, especially during my thesis defense with my advisers. Although much research has been done with the Japanese peace movement and Japan's peace constitution, not much has focused on peace movements within or outside Japan that focuses more narrowly on peace constitutions nor has much research looked beyond Japan at peace constitutions in other countries. I believe my thesis advisers were impressed with the constitutional data I was able to amass and critically analyze to get a broader definition of peace constitutions that has never really been provided in academic research.

If anyone is interested in receiving a copy of my master's thesis, please email me and I can send you a copy. I will also shortly have a PowerPoint presentation about my thesis that will, of course, more succinctly express my research and ideas on peace constitutions. You can also email me for a copy of that as well if you are interested.

These next few weeks will be spent preparing for my return to the states in July by saying goodbye to friends here in Japan, traveling around Japan and Asia with friends and family, continuing my search for jobs in Washington, DC, and packing again for the big trans-Pacific move. I have had an unforgettable and memorable time in Tokyo as a Rotary World Peace Fellow and thank all of those who helped me to Japan and supported me and my work here as well!  I am looking forward to taking what I've learned here and applying those lessons to the next part of my life. I can't wait to share these experiences with Rotarians and others who are working with me to realize global peace!

JRG

No comments:

Post a Comment