Spring term officially began last week and the new term looks to be just as busy and interesting as last term. After shopping around for courses, I finally decided on four graduate courses in addition to resuming Japanese language class. Below is a short description of each of my classes and what I hope to get out of each one:
International Relations: This looks to be one of my favorite courses in terms of class topic. In addition to looking generally at conceptual approaches and empirical issues in the field, it will also pay close attention to the affects of globalization and how it is affected by global governance. The class will use a case study each week to explain the theory. Interesting case studies include post-war Iraq, gender quotas in Afghanistan, and Toyota in the global economy.
Comparative Politics and Government: This course will deal specifically with looking at theories and concepts for understanding democratic transitions and strengthening democratic countries. It will also try to understand why some countries seem to be retreating from democracy, or de-democraticizing. I expect this topic to elicit lively discussions from the diverse students in the course. This class is perhaps one of the most diverse I will ever take! It includes students from the following countries: Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Germany, Macedonia, Nepal, Philippines, Thailand, Australia and Mexico. Of course, I will be the lone U.S. voice and one of the few students that has not witnessed the "birth pangs of new democracies." Hopefully, I won't get clobbered during (heated?) discussions!
Peace Studies II: This course focuses on the analytical study of conflict, violence and peace. It also looks to understand the important and practical role played by conflict resolution and its associated concepts of conflict prevention, peacekeeping, peacebuilding and reconciliation in the international arena. The professor of this course is a French woman who seems very intelligent and has a background in philosophy. She leads the classroom accordingly with discussions that, so far, go far and deep into certain topics in that Western, French and informal sort of way. It reminds me of my seminar classes at Amherst and a welcome departure from other courses that seem more formal in the demarcation between professor and student, and because of that, do not have the natural free-flow of discussion that this course provides.
Intercultural Decision Making: This course will look at problem-solving and decision-making in a multicultural society or organization. It will try to understand how different cultural backgrounds can affect this by looking at differnt cultural communicative approaches and creating culturally-inclusive environments and social spaces where people from different culturals can be themselves and work together. Although I have some minor experience with this in volunteer work that I've done and my own prior experences of living here in Japan, it will be nice to look at the theoretical and academic approaches and frameworks that will further my own abilities. And useful skills they will be in this interconnected, global world we live in. Plus, I hope it will help me in the job-market later!
Japanese Language: More language study, everyday for two-and-half hours. At some point I will reach that threshold where studying leads to fluency...
Of course, the first week's work has been managable, but I know that that will soon rapidly change! The first few weeks may be especially difficult after having six weeks of break and a life of leisure - although I did do a fair amount of reading during spring break, both for pleasure and thesis preparation. But if you know anything about me, you know that reading doesn't count as work for me! I think once I get a weekly routine down in which I can devote equal amounts of time to course work, thesis reading, exercising in the lovely spring weather, and socializing with friends both from and outside school, work will get done easily. Let's just hope that routine comes fast and sticks!
Best,
JRG
No comments:
Post a Comment