Tuesday, October 28, 2008

October update from the Far East

It has been a couple of weeks since I last wrote an entry. And I was gently reminded by a loved one that I should be writing regularly so my readers can know what's happening with me and my time in Japan.

Autumn has finally come, with leaves falling from the trees and the weather finally turning cool. It is always my favorite time of year and an especially good time to be in Japan since it's known for it's colorful seasonal changes. At this time, though, the seasonal colors aren't popping as much as I remember it did before when I was here. Some say this has been an exceptionally warm fall, so the colors may change later than normal. Nevertheless, I've included some pics that I've taken from campus.

Believe it or not, I only have a few more weeks of classes left this term. Since ICU has trimesters, the terms are much shorter than I'm used to. The classes so far have been interesting for the most part, though I must admit classroom discussions of the readings are more enthralling than the readings alone (which should be a given since my classmates come from such diverse places and backgrounds)! I have read some great modern thinkers on peace theories, such as Immanuel Kant, Mohtmma Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Jr., and (for my last class) Hannah Arendt.

I have also received a good introduction to various security issues today that look beyond the nation-state as the sole security interest. Of course, we've had a real-world example of different kinds of security interest as the financial crisis has spread across the world to force many states to rescue their economies like we're doing now to "secure" their economic interests. And in class, we've discussed how this crisis may overshadow the various security needs that have received attention during more stable economic times yet still need attention today.

Just as classes are going well, so is life outside of ICU. I am slowly but surely making new friends, both from within and outside of school - although I do miss my friends and family back in the states (so you'd better be making plans to come visit me soon)! Also, as I make more Japanese friends, my Japanese is improving more quickly than just going to class. As always for me, it's important to have a good work/life balance!

The next few weeks will surely be busy, as I write final papers and take final (Japanese) exams. I also will be researching some summer work opportunities. I'll promise to keep everyone up-to-date with all that's happening on this side of the Pacific!

JRG

No comments:

Post a Comment