Monday, September 22, 2008

South African Ambassador Talk

On Thursday I was able to attend a talk here at ICU given by South Africa's Ambassador to Japan, Dr. Baldwin S. Ngubane. He is ending his time here in Japan after serving as ambassador for just over four years. His talk was about his time spent in Japan, the people that he has met, the policies he's promoted, and the cooperation he has seen develop between his home country and Japan. The Ambassador had a lot to share with the audience (a mixture of professors and students, though surprisingly more undergraduate than graduate students) and I was pleasantly surprised to learn a lot about South Africa and Japan's growing relationship. Being an American and living in America for most of my life (although that could be changing as we speak... ), I am often flooded with information about development aid that we give to other developing countries, but less often hear about development aid other well-developed countries are giving also. I know these kinds of bilateral relationships between countries are happening all of the time, but I don't often get to hear about them, especially from statesmen. So, it is nice to hear from South Africa's Ambassador, which I hope that I will have the chance to do.

Lastly, I did have a chance to ask him a question: What does the ambassador think is South Africa's role in controlling climate change? And also, what does he think is the role of other developing countries in controlling climate change? My question was prompted by the Ambassador beginning his discussion about climate change and the way it is changing weather patterns and affecting people in his country and around the world. Ambassador Ngubane answered by stating that South Africa emits less than 5% of greenhouse gases and has just as small of a share of the economy to attempt to make an impact on developing greener policies. He noted that developing countries also have a small share of greenhouse gas emissions compared to developed countries, despite developing countries' growing shares of greenhouse gases. His implicit answer was that if greener policy is going to be developed, the cost will need to be brunt mostly by developed countries. I suppose I should have expected this answer, but I was hoping that South Africa might be different. I guess that means I will need to push the US to do more! And it's yet another question I can add to my list of questions to ask US Ambassador to Japan Thomas Schieffer when I meet him - hopefully soon!

JRG

No comments:

Post a Comment