Saturday, August 30, 2008

Here. Finally.

I have finally made it to Japan - though that was over a day ago. My flight seemed much shorter than it was. I was fed often on the plane and even got to watch a Japanese game show in which I learned why there is cotton in medicine bottles, how to bring out a sitting pillow for guests in a Japanese home, and which pen to use to draw calligraphy for holiday letters. It was a great cultural and Japanese lesson.

My roommate was nice enough to pick me up from the train station when I arrived. His name is Jorge from Mexico City and has been working around Central and South America doing development work. Like me, he hopes to gain some good academic experience while here with this program. Also, he is very clean and neat like me. Last night he explained to me his elaborate trash-separating system that goes along with Japan`s just-as-elaborate trash collecting system. I think that Jorge and I will get along well.

Since I have been here, I have also met local Japanese Rotarians at our Rotary orientation. They are very nice and not unlike the Rotary clubs back in Texas that I met. I met my host Rotary counselor Hagihara-san and his wife, who have already invited me to their club`s weekly meeting and Christmas party. I look forward to meeting more Rotarians and learning from them about Japan.

Lastly, my Japanese has thankfully been coming back to me. I have been able to make my way around and get what I want. I even held some good conversations with local Rotarians. I know that there is still lots more studying to do, but I feel a bit more confident in speaking now. As I always say, it is good have one less thing to worry about!

I do miss everyone, but know that my first day here was good. Many more updates to come!

JRG

2 comments:

  1. Hi Honey! I'm so glad you made it to Japan safely. I'm also happy to hear you will be living with a Mexican, so you can remember me everyday :)
    Thank goodness you are roomed with someone as tidy and perfectionist as you! Buena suerte y un abrazo fuerte!
    Love,
    VE

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, boo! glad you made it safely. so jealous, but i seriously want to come visit at some point. keep the updates coming! -- arienne

    ReplyDelete